RD.COM Knowledge Etiquette
Charlotte Hilton AndersenUpdated: Feb. 24, 2023
Looking for the perfect way to tell someone that they're on your mind? From funny to heartwarming to loving, these "thinking of you" messages will do the trick.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
RD.com, Getty Images
“Thinking of you” messages can mean the world to someone
Whether you want to wish someone luck, let them know you’re thinking of them on a difficult day, remind them you love them or simply want to say hi, sending “thinking of you” messages is an easy and beautiful way to show you care. After all, who wouldn’t love to hear that someone is thinking of them?
Yes, some occasions call for more specific messages, like if you want to say happy birthday, congratulations, get well soon or that you’re sorry for someone’s loss. But “thinking of you” messages have their own special place in the world of messages, even when you’re conveying some of those sentiments above. Actor Rob Lowe summed up the importance of “thinking of you” messages perfectly when he said: “Friendships are hard—everyone is busy, and life happens. I’ve learned you gotta text people when you’re thinking of them. A simple ‘Thinking of you, hope all is well’ really goes a long way.”
What’s the best thing to say to let someone know you’re thinking of them?
Crafting the perfect little message can be tricky. You want to strike the right tone (is this the time to be funny or serious?), tailor it to the occasion and the person, followetiquette rulesand yet still speak from the heart. It’s a lot, we know, but don’t let that intimidate you! To help you write exactly what you want to say, we’ve compiled 101 “thinking of you” quotes and messages for every special someone in your life. These uplifting quotes can also help you find the right words, and if you want to add a personalized touch, you can’t go wrong with beautiful blooms from one of our favorite online flower delivery services, a sweet treat or another little thoughtful gift.
RD.com, Getty Images
“Thinking of you” messages for friends
1. Just wanted to let you know that you’ve been on my mind.
2. Thinking of you and all the ways you make my life brighter, happier and funner. (That’s not a word, but it should be!)
3. You popped up on my social media feed, and it reminded me how much I adore you. Let’s catch up in real life soon!
4. Love you! That’s all!
5. This may sound cheesy, but I’m so grate-ful to have such a gouda friend.
6. Thinking about you and hoping you are well.
7. I miss you! My life is just not as fun without you in it.
8. Eating chocolate-chip cookie dough will always remind me of you—and will always make me smile!
9. Just a quick note to tell you I’m thinking about you!
10. My favorite memories are the ones with you in them.
11. Call me if you get bored, or want to hear a joke, or anytime—I’ll always answer.
12. I want you to know I’ve never forgotten that time you saved me. Well, all the times, really. What would I do without you?
13. We keep saying we should get together and catch up—so how about this weekend? My treat.
14. I don’t tell you often enough how much you mean to me. So here’s me doing just that!
15. I love you so much that your number is the only one I remember when I’m drunk.
16. I miss you like cereal misses milk. Or milk misses cereal. Which do you pour first?!
17. Know this: You’re always in my heart.
18. No matter where you go or what you do, I will never not smile when I think of you.
19. You make me laugh so hard that I pee a little, so now every time I pee, I think of you.
20. I know you’re busy, so I’ll keep this short: Thinking about you!
“Thinking of you” messages are the perfect opportunity to include thank-you messages and love messages as well.
RD.com, Getty Images
“Thinking of you” messages for boyfriends and husbands
21.Guess what I’m thinking right now! It starts with a “u.” That’s it, actually. Just you.
22. I think of you the way Garfield thinks of lasagna.
23. I just heard our song, and it totally made me smile and think of you.
24. I’m obsessed with you. But like in the cute rom-com way, not the serial killer way.
25. I’m so grateful I get to wake up next to my best friend every morning. I hope you have the best day!
26. Just sitting here thinking about that time you kissed me and I felt it tingling from my head to my toes.
27. Remember that time we did that thing and couldn’t stop laughing? Best day ever.
28. Hey, dude—I love you, and don’t forget it!
29. It’s not that I think about you all the time. Sometimes I have to sleep.
30. I’d rather be kissing you than missing you.
31. I saw a book about great men through history, and it made me think of you.
32. Our text thread is always pinned at the top of my messages! [Insert favorite emoji]
33. I need you as much as flowers need rain. Or at least as much as we need dish soap. Mind grabbing some on the way home?
34. They say if your ears itch, someone you love is thinking about you. I’m hoping it’s you! Otherwise I think I have an ear infection.
35. I don’t always smile … but when I do it’s because I’m thinking about you.
36. If I had a dollar for every thought I’ve had of you, it would only be $1. Because I haven’t stopped thinking about you since we met.
37. Just the smell of your cologne is enough to make me forget what I was doing.
38. Thinking of all the good times we’ve had together and how excited I am for what’s next.
39. I believe in you, no matter what.
40. You are my favorite daydream, and night dream.
You can also send these relationship quotes that celebrate love—or these flirty texts if you have something else in mind.
RD.com, Getty Images
“Thinking of you” messages for girlfriends and wives
41. The picture of our first date popped up in my photo memories, and it reminded me of why I fell in love with you.
42. I started hugging my pillow thinking it was you. Yeah, I’m still on the bus. The dude next to me was not amused.
43, Since I can’t get you out of my head, that must mean you’re supposed to be in there.
44. Started making a list of all the ways you’re amazing, and I ran out of paper.
45. I’d rather do nothing with you than everything with anyone else.
46. In case I haven’t told you lately: You’re the best, and I love you.
47. I know we just saw each other, but I’m already counting down the hours until I get to see you again.
48. I was just talking to my friends about how awesome you are and figured I should tell you too.
49. Goodnight, gorgeous, and sweet dreams! I know you’ll be in mine.
50. I’ll always be the PB to your J. Even if one of us has to go gluten-free or give up sugar.
51. How often is too often to think about you?
52. I miss you like people miss cake and booze on Jan. 1.
53. I love thinking about you—and not just when work is slow!
54. You are the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think about before I go to sleep.
55. Thinking of you is like an addiction … but I don’t wanna go to rehab.
56. Every time I think about how hard it is to say goodbye, I remember how lucky I am to have someone I love that much.
57. I think of you so much, it makes me forget everything else!
58. Just sitting here thinking about how pretty you are. And smart. And funny. And all-around awesome. Man, I’m lucky.
Of course, don’t forget the big milestones in your relationship. When those roll around, these anniversary messages will help you find the perfect words.
RD.com, Getty Images
“Thinking of you” messages for someone going through a tough time
59. I love you. I care about you. I’m here for you.
60. You’ve been on my mind and in my heart these past few difficult weeks.
61. In case you ever forget, I’m here to remind you how strong, amazing and courageous you are.
62. I imagine today will be a difficult one for you. My heart is with you.
63. I’m praying for you.
64. I can’t fix what you’re going through, but know that at least you don’t have to go through it alone.
65. I’m thinking of you and want to listen whenever you want to talk.
66. Whatever today holds, go out there and kick butt! I believe in you!
67. Answer the following question to win a prize. Today I need: a) a hug, b) a coffee run or c) dinner DoorDashed.
68. You’ve been there for me so many times—please let me be there for you now.
69. Miss you already! We’ll be together again soon.
70. Get some rest, and when you’re ready, I’d love to get coffee and talk.
71. Life can be so hard, but that’s why we have friends! I’m here for you.
72. Thinking of you and hoping today is a little bit better than yesterday.
73. Guess who has two thumbs and is thinking about you right now? THIS GIRL/GUY.
74. Sending you warm hugs and all my love today.
75. Today is a tough day. Hoping you get good news soon.
76. I will always be grateful for you in my life—what you were to me then and what you are to me now.
77. No matter what happens next, you will have me by your side.
78. Sending you positive vibes, healing and protection today.
79. May you feel angels, both those on earth and in heaven, watching over you today.
80. Let’s get together and complain about all our bodily ailments again soon!
81. I love you through the good days and the bad days.
82. Good luck today! You got this!
For more inspiration for what to say to someone going through a hard time, check out these hope quotes.
RD.com, Getty Images
“Thinking of you” quotes
83. “Sometimes me think, ‘What is friend?’ and then me say, ‘Friend is someone to share the last cookie with.'” —Cookie Monster
84. “If I have a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden.” —Claudia Adrienne Grandi
85. “No matter where I go, or what I do, I’m thinking of you.” —Dierks Bentley
86. “My heart dances with joy when I think about you.” —Debasish Mridha
87. “I don’t know where you are, but I miss you. I don’t know what you’re doing, but I’m thinking of you.” —London Mond
88. “I love you, and that’s the beginning and end of everything.” —F. Scott Fitzgerald
89. “A day without you is like a day without sunshine. A life without you is like a life without music. You are the sunshine on my face and the music in my heart.” —Alfiya Shaliheen
90. “When I think of you, I think of kindness, wisdom and love. Thanks for being you.” —Sam Crow
91. “Between a million yesterdays and a million tomorrows, there’s only one today. And I would never let it pass without telling you I’m thinking of you.” —Mitch Cuento
92. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” —Audrey Hepburn
93. “My heart dances with joy when I think about you.” —Debasish Mridha
94. “Love reckons hours for months, and days for years; and every little absence is an age.” —John Dryden
95. “All that you are is all that I’ll ever need.” —Ed Sheeran
96. “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” —Walt Whitman
97. “If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give.” —George MacDonald
98. “That’s how you know you love someone: when you can’t experience anything without wishing the other person were there to see it too.” —Kaui Hart Hemmings
99. “Somewhere someone is thinking of you. Someone is calling you an angel.” —Henry Rollins
100. “Romance is thinking about your significant other when you are supposed to be thinking about something else.” —Nicholas Sparks
101. “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art. … It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.” —C.S. Lewis
Sending a “thinking of you” message is a small act of kindnessthat can make the world a better place, so what are you waiting for? You have the power to brighten someone’s day right now!
via merchant (3)
Little gifts that mean a lot
If a sweet little note brings a smile, imagine what a sweet little gift can do! A “just because” gift can set the stage for romance with your significant other, help a friend get through a tough day or let a family member know you’re thinking about them, no matter how far away they are. And when it comes to “thinking of you” gifts, bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better—it’s really the thought that counts.
- FTD Love Letter Bouquet: The name says it all! This gorgeous bouquet is a veritable love letter to your beloved, with its hot pink roses and dark purple poms. Think of it as the boudoir version of your traditional red roses—sexy, unique and utterly perfect.
- Urban Stems The Betsy Bouquet: This whimsical bundle will put a pep in the step of a friend in need of a pick-me-up or one you just miss. It’s packed with anemones, ruscus, ranunculus and solomio, and you can add candy, a candle or other little goodies along with it if you’d like.
- Anthropologie Zelda Frame: This Art Deco–inspired frame is gorgeous on its own … but it’s even better when filled with a picture of the two of you! It’s a thoughtful gift that keeps on giving.
- Aura Mason Frame: While this frame is more of an investment, it’s the perfect splurge for family members—especially grandparents—who are far away. This high-tech giftlets you share photos and videos so you can feel more connected to one another.
- Milk Bar Assorted Truffle Box: Editor tested and approved! These foodie-recommended sweets are beyond delicious, and this box comes with three of the brand’s bestsellers: B’day Truffles, Chocolate B’Day Truffles and Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake Truffles. You might want to get one for yourself while you’re at it!
- Birthdate Co. Birthdate Candle Set: What do you get when you combine astrology, numerology and tarot cards and then mix it up with someone’s birthday? This cool candle! They’ll love reading all about themselves—and enjoy the customized scent while they do.
- Cheryl’s Cookies “Cookies to the Rescue” Treats Pail: If someone is having a tough day, it’s cookies to the rescue! Need we say more? OK, how about chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, lemon burst and buttercream frosted? Oh, and let’s not forget the fudge brownies and chocolate-covered pretzels either!
- Greetabl Personalized Gift Box: Consider this the ultimate self-care gift. You get to choose from bath items, jewelry, candles, candies, fuzzy socks, gift cards and so much more (including a mini piñata!), have it packaged in the coolest box and have everything delivered right to their doorstep—all without ever leaving your couch!
Originally Published: January 19, 2023
Charlotte Hilton Andersen
Charlotte Hilton Andersen, BS, MS, has been covering health, fitness, parenting and culture for many major outlets, both in print and online, for 15 years. She's the author of two books, co-host of the Self Help Obsession podcast and also does freelance editing and ghostwriting. She has appeared in television news segments for CBS, FOX and NBC.
- I was totally dreaming of you last night.
- I woke up smiling, all because you're in my life.
- Good morning, handsome.
- I hope your day is as amazing as you are, sweetheart.
- My day is already going better since I am talking to you.
- I wish we could lay in bed together all morning.
- Be Funny. Many guys love it when girls are funny. ...
- Use Teasing and Banter. Teasing and banter are great ways to keep the conversation going and to keep things interesting. ...
- Use Compliments. ...
- Be Bold. ...
- Send a Picture. ...
- Keep Him Guessing. ...
- Send a Flirty Emoji. ...
- Make Plans.
A simple, kind response might be all you need to show your appreciation. Thank this person for their kindness and let them know that you hope they're doing well. "Aw thanks. Wishing you the best!"
- “I was just thinking of you, too! ...
- “That makes two of us.” ...
- “I don't know how, but you always know what to say and when to say it. ...
- “I keep meaning to send you a note or call you. ...
- “I'm so happy you sent this. ...
- “Everything good, I hope.”
- Darling, I may not tell you this every day, but you mean the world to me.
- My love for you only grows stronger with every passing day.
- You are the best thing that happened to me.
- I promise to love you until my last breath.
- I thank God for every breath I take because I take it thinking of you.
- Show your appreciation. ...
- Tell them 'I love you' throughout the day. ...
- It's in the little things. ...
- Try to do at least one nice thing for your partner every day. ...
- Give them your undivided attention. ...
- Tell them how attracted you are to them.
If you want to get a guy's attention over text, tell him how he missed the coolest show the other night at a club near you. Or tell him about something super fun you did over the weekend and add in something like, “too bad you missed it.”What annoys guys when texting? ›
Going overboard with the emoji.
1/3 of men think more than 3 emojis in a text is too many emojis. Only 21 percent of men use emojis themselves. 3. Making vague suggestions that he entertain you, such as: "I'm bored," "What r u up to?," and "Heyy hows it goin?" (This is for those of you in the dating world.)
- Deliberately leave things behind. ...
- Give him some personal space. ...
- Make him wait before replying his texts. ...
- Take things slow. ...
- Wear a unique perfume. ...
- Add some mystery to your experiences together. ...
- Have adventures with him (and your friends)
- Call him by cute names often:
- Keep him guessing:
- Touch him unexpectedly:
- Small changes do make a big difference:
- Compliment him often:
- Take him down the memory lane:
- Give him ample space:
- Smell good at all times:
“Thinking of you” messages can mean the world to someone
Whether you want to wish someone luck, let them know you're thinking of them on a difficult day, remind them you love them or simply want to say hi, sending “thinking of you” messages is an easy and beautiful way to show you care.
- Assume good intentions. © Smiley Face by Arslan Shahid / Noun Project. ...
- Cultivate awareness of unconscious bias. ...
- Explore the emotional undertones of the words themselves. ...
- Don't assume you know how a person feels. ...
- Rely on theories of emotion. ...
- Seek out more information.
“Thank you, that's nice to hear.”
If you can't come up with a great way to respond, don't worry—a simple “thank you” text is always a solid option. It's quick, it's thoughtful, and it leaves it up to them to decide if and how to text you back. Here are a few examples: “Thanks so much, that made me smile.”
5 be thinking of somebody used to say that you care about and feel sympathy for someone who is in a difficult situation Take care! I'll be thinking of you.How to respond to how are you text from a guy? ›
- 1 “Thanks for asking! ...
- 2 “Not bad, but it's still early!”
- 3 “Better, now that I'm talking to you.”
- 4 “I'm hanging in there.”
- 5 “Great, but I could use some help with…”
- 6 “Do you want the cliff notes, or the full story?”
- 7 “I'm a little busy slaying dragons. ...
- 8 “Good question!
- I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! ...
- I wish I was there with you! ...
- Missing you lots and looking forward to seeing you soon!
- Just another reminder of how much I love you! ...
- I'm so lucky to have you in my life, and I'm counting the days/hours until I can see you again!
- Be ready to get vulnerable.
- Start out the letter with a personal greeting.
- Say why you're writing the letter.
- Tell them why you love them and/or being with them.
- Use storytelling.
- Close the letter warmly.
- Consider whether it's the right gesture.
- Start with an attention grabber.
- No one and nothing can change my mind. ...
- I never thought I'd find someone I'd fit with so well. ...
- Being with you makes my heart sing.
- I love you with all of the power and passion in my heart.
- No matter how much time passes, being with you makes my heart race in the best way.
- He protects you.
- You are his priority.
- He wants you to be happy.
- He supports your dreams.
- He shows up when you need help.
- He tries to make you feel better.
- He is making plans for your future.
- He shows up with plans already made.
Physical touch: Physical affection—such as cuddling, holding hands, massages, kissing, and hugging—are all great ways to show your partner that you love them and can help your form a closer bond. Acts of kindness: Often, it's the little things that count. Find opportunities to show your partner kindness.
- I love you to the moon and back again.
- We fit together like puzzle pieces.
- You are the best thing that has ever happened to me.
- You complete me.
- I can't believe you're mine.
- You are a beautiful person inside and out.
- I am here for you… always.
- I'm yours.
- You're my favorite. ...
- You know I can't get enough of you? ...
- I'm so obsessed with you. ...
- I literally can't stop thinking about you. ...
- My whole life changed the day I met you. ...
- I was just thinking about that time [insert cute memory from your first date]. ...
- I'm so in love with you. ...
- You're my dream girl.
- Send them a playlist with some motivational tunes and their favorite songs.
- Share a funny video or meme.
- Send them a list of 10 things you appreciate about them.
- Remind them of a fun memory you share.
- Let them know that you're there to support them however they want.
Men Need Love and Affection
In plain language: Men often feel most loved by the women in their lives when their partners hug them, kiss them, smile at them, and explicitly offer gratitude, praise, and words of affection. Men also feel loved and connected through sexuality, often to a greater degree than women do.
Physical attraction, sexual compatibility, empathy, and emotional connection are key to making a man fall in love with a woman.What do men want in a woman? ›
Like women, men want a life partner who will be trustworthy, faithful and reliable. They want a wife who will stand by their side and, considering divorce rates, it's no surprise that dependability would continue to be attractive.How do you show a man you care? ›
- Make something special (a card, a memory book, a photo album of your favorite memories, or anything you know how to make). ...
- Draw pictures and decorate his or her room together.
- Bring games and play together.
- Share your favorite stuffed animal or toy.
- Touch your face and hair when you're talking to them.
- Touch them, casually, on the arm or knee when you're talking to them.
- Laugh at their jokes.
- Touch their arm or knee when you laugh at their jokes.
- Smile. TODAY. ...
- Don't hide in the corner. ...
- Ask for his help. ...
- Talk about your hobbies. ...
- Don't dress for your girlfriends. ...
- Look him in the eye. ...
- Avoid the obvious. ...
- Go out alone or with one other friend.
Make eye contact with him.
As you meet his gaze, give a small smile before looking away. Just a brief moment of eye contact could be enough to make him interested in you too. Be careful not to stare at him so long that he gets uncomfortable. A quick glance is usually enough to convey that you want him to talk to you.
- Stop texting him.
- Use a different way to communicate.
- Make him jealous.
- Seen-zone him.
- Give him time and space.
- Be your best self.
- Stop being accomodating.
- Ask for his help.
A text exchange with no emotion could be a red flag, she notes. If the texts are flat, with no smiling in the language and little energy, this might be an indication the date is emotionally aloof. Some people manage the anxiety of attachment by trying to control their environment, Winsberg points out.What do guys find attractive when texting? ›
Guys love hearing what you like about them.
You could mention how he looks, how he handles a situation, or how you feel about him. Just try to stay away from heavy-handed compliments if you don't mean them though; guys can see right through them.
Men love women who are thoughtful, caring, loving and kind. A woman who does little things for her man for no other reason other than that she loves him. A woman who makes him smile back whenever she smiles at him. A woman who radiates love and warmth from her heart.Does silence make a man miss you? ›
The simple answer to the above questions is yes. When you walk away and make him miss you, it's typical for a man to come back to you. The power of silence after a breakup is highly effective in making your partner come back. To start with, going silent after a breakup is a sign of confidence and self-esteem.What is the one thing men crave in a relationship? ›
Men Want Respect
Respect is one thing that men value very highly. If you demean him in public or do not respect him in private, your relationship may suffer. Men value women who are respectful toward their partners as well as their dreams and aspirations.
Accepting, acknowledging, and appreciating your man for the person he is, helps build a strong bond of love, care, and respect. Working on improving your own skillset while giving them their own personal space, would keep them eager and confident to reach back to you.What do men crave emotionally? ›
Men secretly crave to talk about their feelings, men want to be understood, they want to know how to be more vulnerable in relationships, to let their emotions out, and — just like everyone else — want others to care about their feelings. As humans, we need to feel connected to others–to build emotional intimacy.How do you write a thoughtful message? ›
- Select the right greeting card. ...
- Say the real thing. ...
- Get specific. ...
- Use a formula, if it helps. ...
- Don't expect it to be easy. ...
- Short is great. ...
- Remember there's something in it for you, too!
- “I hope you feel your inner strength building day by day.”
- “This is tough, but you're tougher.”
- “I'm proud of you for walking this road, for doing what's right for you.”
- “You're making a big change, and that's a really big deal.”
Heartfelt is used to describe a deep or sincere feeling or wish.How do you make a powerful message? ›
- Words to avoid. Slang, jargon, acronyms (unless specific paper to a specific audience that understands these acronyms and even then…be careful). ...
- Research. ...
- Pay attention to non-verbal cues. ...
- Be careful. ...
- Frame your message. ...
- Is your audience 'with you' or 'against you'? ...
- Be Clear, Be Succinct.
Take care of some of their responsibilities (for example, watch their kids, do their laundry, cook them dinner, or go shopping for them). Call often to remind them how much you love them and how you are always thinking of them. When you visit, bring a book to read aloud or a movie to watch together.How do you describe a special person in one word? ›
- accomplished. Accomplished is the word to use when someone is “highly skilled” or even “expert” at something. ...
- artistic. ...
- capable. ...
- inspirational. ...
- brilliant. ...
- affectionate. ...
- considerate. ...
- Be an Active Listener. ...
- Ask Your S.O. How They Are Doing. ...
- Don't Scroll and Talk. ...
- 4. Make Time for Them. ...
- Hang Out with Their Friends. ...
- Send Them Random Cute Messages. ...
- Leave a Love Note. ...
- Show Affection in Public.
I found that phrases like these are best avoided when trying to help someone through a hard time: “I can't imagine what you're going through.” This makes the person feel isolated and unseen. Let them explain what they're going through, instead of taking away that chance by saying you couldn't possibly understand.How do you comfort a loved one going through a hard time? ›
- Ask them how they are feeling. Then, listen non-judgmentally to their response. ...
- Show them that you want to understand and express sympathy. ...
- Ask how you can support them and resist jumping in to problem-solve. ...
- Check in to see if they are suicidal. ...
- Reassure them, realistically.
- You fill my life with sweetness and love.
- Everything I do, I can only imagine doing with you.
- Love you to infinity, My Sweet Valentine.
- I'm the luckiest person in the world to have found the most wonderful person in the world.
- The main reason for the card.
- A note of thanks.
- Something you like about them.
- A memory you have with them.
- Something you hope will happen to them.
- A promise or gift of kindness.
- A quote or saying.
- A little drawing or scribble.
Instead of hi, you can, of course, say “hello,” “hey,” “how's it going?” “what's up?” or “what's new?” That said, it's nice to change it up and have fun with your greetings, especially if you're texting someone you like.